WHAT IS GREEN SCHOOL?
A green school is one which addresses health & hygiene of children, conserves natural resources, uses less water, optimizes energy efficiency and generates less waste as compared to conventional school
BENEFITS OF GREEN SCHOOL
- Reduced environmental impact
- Increased health and well-being
- Increased environmental and sustainability literacy for children's
These benefits to the schools can be broadly categorized under performance, pedagogy, community and responsibility:
- Fresh air, daylight, improved indoor environment enhances the performance of students
- Water efficiency. energy efficiency and post monitoring improves building performance
Art of education
- Eco-sensitivity is both a passion and science. Children get sensitised to environmental aspects
Help to educate the greater
- Knowledge sharing within the school helps in reaching out to parents and nearby communities.
- Children learn to take responsibility for their own actions that concerns the environment
Schools can have tremendous benefits, both tangible and intangible. The most tangible benefits are the reduction in water and energy consumption. Intangible benefits include health & wellbeing of children, enhanced air quality and excellent day lighting.
- Cutting energy usage in buildings reduces energy load on power plants, reducing carbon emissions and other environmental impacts of power generation.
- Use of renewable technologies for on-sitepower generation minimizes environmental impact of using fossil fuels.
- Sustainable Water practice reduces the consumption of potable water.
- Waste water treatment reduces the pollution of water streams.
- Reducing waste going to landfill saves open land for habitat and other purposes and reduces water and soil contamination.
- Eco-friendly commuting practices minimizes environmental impact form automobile usage which results in cuts back on carbon emission.
- Use of eco-friendly refrigerants & halons in the school minimizes the impact on ozone layer.
Health and well-being
- Specific aspects of indoor air quality—such as the amount of CO2, VOCs, particulates and humidity in the air—have demonstrable impacts on student learning and human health. Green school encourage usage of material with low emissions
- Access to clean and safe drinking water and healthy food can enhance the well-being of the children.
- Availability of spaces for indoor and outdoor spaces enhances health and growth of students. It’s also cut obesity rates and encourage positive lifetime habits.
- Usage of organic fertilizers, organic pesticides and environment friendly cleaning products reduces health impacts on school students and teachers.
- Exposure to daylight affects the production of important hormones that impact alertness and sleep/wake cycles.
- Increasing the number of servings of whole grains, fruit and vegetables that students eat has positive impacts on their health, well-being and ability to learn
Environmental and sustainability literacy
- Increasing student environmental knowledge while also employing instructional practices that focus on interdisciplinary and place-based problem solving can influence behavior change toward sustainability.
- Students for whom the environment is a context for learning perform better on measures of general academic performance.